Pages

Monday, September 9, 2013

Whats in a name

They say that a name marks you. That it does so in a way that it determines certain aspects of one's life. 

My name is Jamie.

The literal meaning of it means to supplant.

The dictionary defines supplant as followed -

1 to supersede (another) especially by force or treachery
2a (1) obsolete : uproot (2) : to eradicate and supply a substitute for <efforts to supplant the vernacular>
b : to take the place of and serve as a substitute for especially by reason of superior excellence or power
But even though this may seem like a bad definition.......I look at it another way.
God has used me to supplant others for his Glory.

To cause one to be set a side. Set aside for God.
In the same sense. . . he's supplanted me by giving me a heart that is willing to go wherever He calls me.

It amazes me how this subconsciously this defines us.

Take our daughter's name, Shelby, for instance. (For obvious reasons yes she's named after the Shelby mustang.) She is fast, overflowing with energy, very strong willed in the best of ways. 

The literal meaning of her name means "where the willows grow."

Willow trees thrive the mostly when they are near water and as a result their tree limbs become quite flexible. The willow tree can bend without ever snapping! It adjusts well to life rather than fighting it. It not only survives but thrives even in the most challenging circumstances.

Think about this we are the willow tree and God is our water. When we're near him we become flexible to his calling and direction. We can withstand the daily storms that come at us without breaking because we have his strength flowing within us. 

image by: unknown


I can already tell that little miss shells is quite fearless about the many things her three year old self does. I can't wait to see where He takes her.

My husband's name is Cesar. It is one of the strongest name I can think of to date. It means to lead with a powerful and strong personality. I even had a relative of mine say, "you don't want to marry someone who doesn't have a strong name."

If you know my husband he has a very strong personality and has the ability to lead and lead well. Which is one of the great reasons I fell in love with him and married him.

Whatever your name may be I leave you with this verse:

Psalms 1:3 says He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither, and in what he does he prospers.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment